Friday, September 27, 2013

Welcome to Senior Year(!)

I'm graduating this year. What?

Yeah. in 289 days. give or take.

It's not like I thought it would never happen. It's just that 4 years seems like a long time, but it turns out to not be. I feel like I've grown an incredible amount in these 4 short years and I feel like I can take on the world. That's such a strange feeling for me that I don't really know how to deal with it.

I started planning for graduation today. It seems a bit early to be planning for it, but it's one of the most important days of my life. I could graduate early too. I could. it seems strange that after all the drama and me hating school I could graduate a quarter early and am choosing not to. of my own volition.

We started classes earlier this week and I was pleasantly (and unpleasantly) surprised. The classes that I thought were going to be hard are going to be fairly easy, and the classes that I thought I was going to breeze through are going to be the most difficult. On the easy side are Asian-American literature and interpersonal communication.
Literature classes are generally all hard. they usually involve long reading and longer papers explaining how certain theories or types do or do not appear in said reading. this class involves short readings and shorter papers. and movies! we have 4 movies that are assigned.
If you know anything about me, you know that I don't speak very well or very often, so I assumed a class based on speaking to other people would be difficult. necessary, but difficult. but with no long papers to write or dense, boring chapters to read, I think it's actually going to turn out to be a good class. who knows, maybe I'll even make some friends. wouldn't that be something?
the ones that are going to be difficult are copy editing and nonverbal communication.
I actually knew copy editing would be difficult. it's online and involves a lot of readings and a lot of checking and double checking of work. it's probably not going to be hard so much as it will be time consuming. I'm quite looking forward to the challenge.
Nonverbal communications was a slap out of nowhere. I was assuming it would be a class of little discussion. maybe some group work. learning about expressions and how we express ourselves non-verbally. In reality, it is kind of like that. but add in dense textbook readings, a long research paper, and assignments where we have to creep on people and study their non-verbal communication. it doesn't sound super hard. but it's going to put me so far out of my comfort zone. hopefully I'll learn a lot too though. the really hard part is going to be our research paper. it needs to have research that we look up, like any other research paper, but it also requires our own research. AND it needs to be in APA. It'll probably end up being a breeze to write and I'm worrying about nothing.

In any case, I feel like this school year is going to fly by. this is also the year that I'm going to have some fun. Hollow, Ari and I all live fairly close, so we've promised to hang out this school year. have a day in Seattle of a weekend get-together thing. not to mention Hollow and I are going to be road tripping down to California for spring break. it's going to be my first ever real spring break thing. sort of. lol.

We're going to visit our Aunt Mary. she has work though. so during the week, we'll be staying at her house in Fort Bragg by ourselves. two college kids in a beach house by themselves. what could go wrong (just kidding Aunt Mary, I'm sure we will be absolutely fine and definitely won't break anything or cause any property damage). XD

I'm also going to be skipping two days of school(!) I know, I know. I can hardly believe it myself. but it just so happens that Aunt Mary is coming up to visit the weekend before thanksgiving. it would be totally pointless for me to go down for that weekend and then come back up to school for two days of school and then go back home for thanksgiving. so I'm skipping those days. I've reviewed my syllabi and I have enough free absences (ones that won't count against my grade) that I can take those days off without worrying. I've decided that if I have high enough grades, any pop quizzes that I might miss wouldn't affect my grade enough for me to worry about that either. I can hardly believe I'm going to do it.

For my graduation, my best friend is moving back from Iowa, so she and her boyfriend will be coming up and we're going to be having a sleep over. I'm planning on asking Hollow and Ari if they want to sleep over too. a massive sleep over before graduation. of course that involves manicures and pedicures the day before my graduation and setting up for the party.

I just wish I had more friends to invite. it would be so much fun with everyone.

Anyway. Maybe I'll update more as the year goes along. maybe I'll get too swept up in everything and only update again on graduation day. who knows.
until next time,
May your adventure be long and your journey be pleasant.
au revoir, mes amours.

No comments:

Post a Comment