Monday, March 11, 2013

Adventure

This is a comic from a photocomic site called asofterworld.com
I've been reading this comic on and off for a number of years. Mostly, I think their comics are strange. Sometimes,they're cute. But never have I had one resonate to me like this one did. because this is how I feel.

I'm an adult now. My cage has been opened. Why am I not running as far and as fast as I can?

More than anything I want to have an adventure. I want to not really have a destination, I just want to go. somewhere. you know?

I want to wake up one morning and decide "Hey, I think I'll drive to South Carolina" and then do it, just because I can.

I want to travel far and wide, to wherever my whims take me. and I want to write about the whole thing.

Cheryl Strayed wrote a memoir called Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail. I haven't read it, but I want to. as you can probably tell it's about her hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. She hiked the entire thing with no experience and it was sort of a snap decision she made when she felt her life was falling apart. The book summary says that this journey that she went on broke her down and built her all back up again.

I feel like that's the kind of thing I need to do. I'd never make it hiking the entire Pacific Crest Trail. I'd like to say I could do that, but let's be honest here, I couldn't. But I feel like I need to do SOMETHING. I need to have an adventure of my own. I need to get lost and find my OWN way back. I need to be broken down so I can build myself over again. I need to run away from my open cage, instead of cowering inside of it.

Right now it feels as if the cage is open but there's still this tether holding me in saying "No. It's not time yet." and I'm just waiting for the one tug that will break the tether so I can finally run free. Maybe I'll never be able to pull that hard. who knows.

I want to believe that I can though. that one day, I'll just decide to drive somewhere, anywhere, just because I can, and I'll finally get my adventure.

Citrina

No comments:

Post a Comment